AirDrain Synthetic Turf Rooftop Sports Field 95,000 sqft. at Los Angeles Community College.
Green Roofing with Synthetic Turf and Natural Turf Profiles
AirField Systems AirDrain Synthetic Grass Drainage Layer was chosen to replace a competitive product that had not performed up to the standards which were expected. This synthetic turf rooftop sports field needed to be flat and playable across the entire surface without buckles and separations of the under laying drainage layer.
AirDrain’s patented expansion and contraction joints allow for just that. A unified drainage system that drains and acts as a shock absorption layer.
Ease of installation and a cost value performance scenario nothing comes close to AirDrain!
Benefits of AirField Systems AirDrain in a green roofing system include:
• AirDrain creates and helps maintain a constant GMAX for artificial turf (See below)
• Thickness and resin consistency of AirDrain provides uniform shock absorbency
• Shock absorption reduces the strain on joints and ligaments
• AirDrain is only limited by the drainage capacity of the profile above it
• Installation time measured in days instead of weeks
• AirDrain can be reused when the artificial turf must be replaced
• Water harvesting reclamation and reuse
• Helps qualify for LEED and other green building credits
• A smaller carbon and development footprint with reduced site disturbance
• 100% vertical drainage under the entire field surface
• Minimizes water related injuries / Less infill migration due to superior drainage
• AirDrain is a 100% recycled product
• Less infill migration due to superior drainage a huge maintenance cost
G MAX Information Existing Conditions for Testing:
Turf – 2 1/2” Slit Film, in filled with 50% Green Rubber Infill and 50% Silica Sand.
The drainage/shock pad and turf underlying substrate consists of a concrete deck/rooftop, coated with a waterproof membrane and 10 ounce 100% recycled polyester go-textile filter fabric.
The Standard Test Method for Shock-Absorbing Properties of Playing Surface Systems and Materials (ASTM F1936-98 American Football Field) testing locations and procedure were performed. The tests were performed using a Triax 2000 A-1 Missile, tripod mounted G max registration unit (www.triax2000.com). This report presents background information on the test procedures, existing conditions, test results and observations in football, baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey artificial sports fields.
The environmental impact of a green roof is undeniable, and adds significantly to the LEED Point system designed by the USGBC in all five major areas: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection, and indoor environmental quality. Green roofing replaces the green space displaced by a building, prevents excess storm water drainage, reduces the temperature of a building and the urban heat island effect, protects and extends the useful life of a roof, and reduce energy demands.
What’s more, a green roof incorporating AirDrain means your design includes renewable, recycled materials.
We know you have a choice in designing a green roof, and we hope you consider the many benefits of AirDrain. What Drains better than AIR!!