Synthetic Grass Turf AirDrain Drainage Installed Roof Top Sports Field at WPI
Worcester Polytechnic Institute installed 174,000 sqft. Synthetic Turf Rooftop with Airfield Systems AirDrain in layers from 1” to 3” in height to account for the differences in elevation of the pre-existing garage surface.
The roof top had to have the water holding abilities of AirDrain at .576 gallons per sqft. to be able to be built, with the county only giving so much volume that the exit drains could evacuate from the building per occurrence.
AirField Systems AirDrain with various sustainable drainage applications for use in natural sports fields, synthetic turf sports fields, green roofing, pet relief areas and golf courses.
Benefits of AirField in a green roofing system include:
- AirDrain creates and helps maintain a constant Gmax for Synthetic Turf
- Shock absorption reduces the strain on joints and ligaments
- AirDrain can be reused when the Synthetic Turf must be replaced
- Can help qualify for LEED and other green building credits
- A smaller carbon and development footprint with reduced site disturbance
- Water harvesting reclamation and reuse is possible
- 100% made in the USA recycled copolymer with the impact modifier “metallocene” qualifying it as a “No Break” plastic
- Resins can be made to the following specification “Flammability UL 94, 30% Fiberglass Reinforced, High Impact, Flame Retardant Polypropylene Copolymer Resins”
Sports Field Consultant:
John Amato, JJA Sports
To discuss your sports construction project, call AirField Systems at (405) 359-3775.